Duration : 30 mins
Cake Roll ingredients :
Cream cheese filling ingredients :
Butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking soda are the elementary ingredients to prepare a cake. The difference in each type of cake is in what order these ingredients are incorporated and how they are processed into a mixture. If you are familiar with baking cupcakes, you will realise as to how this procedure is almost different from how usually a cupcake batter is processed. Let's look into how the cake roll batter is prepared.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Bring the butter to room temperature, melt it and set it to cool.
- Separate the egg white and yolk of the 4 eggs, in two different bowls.
- Beat the egg yolk mixture, adding 1/4 cup of granulated sugar until the sugar is well incorporated. You will also notice the mixture thickening and lightening in color.
- Add 1 tsp of cream of tartar to the egg white and beat using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, for about 5 minutes. Cream of tartar is potassium bitartrate, which is a white odorless powder usually found in the spices section of a grocery store.
- Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to this mixture and continue beating until you get stiff peaks. This mixture reaches a consistency where, even if the bowl is turned upside down, the mixture doesnot fall out. (Tip : Cream of tartar helps to stabilize egg whites, maintains it's texture when whipped into stiff peaks and improves it's tolerence to heat. If you have eaten a meringue, you would see that the egg white layer on the top is baked and did not melt away. Cream of tartar helps to bring that stability to a beaten egg white mixture. Hence while making meringues, we should definitely add cream of tartar. However, you can choose to avoid it in this recipe unlike me and try to geta similar consistency of stiff peaks by beating the mixture for a longer time.)
- Now, fold the two mixtures together gently, without removing much air from the beaten mixture. (Tip : The key to a soft cake is having a fluffly and a light mixture.)
- Sift together the 3/4 cup of all purpose flour and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Add this sifted powder into the egg mixture and fold it in gently.
- Now add the melted butter to this mixture and gently fold. (Tip: It is important to bring the melted butter to room temperature, as we donot want to cook the egg in the mixture :) )
- Tada ! You are now ready with the mixture.
- Seperate the cake batter equally into 7 different bowls.
- Add seven different food coloring of your choice (I used wilton icing gel colors) to these batters.
- Pipe each of these into separate piping bags or ziploc bags. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Snap the tip of the piping bags and draw a straight line on the parchment paper using the colored cake batter.
- Alternate the colored batter after completion of each line to get a rainbow spread on the parchment paper. Push this tray into a preheated oven at 375 F for 6-7 minutes. (Tip: This cake bakes really fast, so watch out on the timer)
- Once the cake is baked (Tip: a toothpick inserted should come out clean), remove it from oven. Carefully remove the cake from the hot tray, along with the parchment paper. Cover the cake with another parchment paper on the top, roll it in and set it to cool.
8. Your rainbow cake roll is now ready to eat !
Cream cheese frosting is one of the simpest and commonest, yet most delicious forms of frosting. Preparing it is also very easy.
- Bring the 1/2 cup of cream cheese to room temperature. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and blend well.
- Add 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract for flavor. Alternatively, you can use a flavor/color of your choice. Since I already have a rainbow cake, I am not going to add any color to it.
- Add 1/4 cup of butter, brought to the room temperature. Mix the ingredients well until they are incorporated nicely into a rich and tasty cream cheese frosting. Your filling is now ready.